01 09 10

2/07/2014

Moyes confirms Nemanja Vidic will continue as captain

 

Manchester United manager David Moyes insists he is not concerned about the timing of Nemanja Vidic's announcement that he will leave the club this summer.


However, Moyes has no concerns about the defender's commitment and on Friday confirmed that he will continue as captain.

"No, not somebody like Vida given the type of man he is," he told the club's official website.
"He’s a great leader for this club and served the club really well and I would expect that to continue right up until the end of the season.

"I think people know that I’ve got things in my mind that I want to do and things I wanted to change in time. I can’t do it all overnight.

"That wasn’t the reason for this. This was a decision that we mutually decided together. He felt it was the right time for him. We’ll get on with it and we’ll move on."

Moyes also says he was was in contact with Vidic about his decision to quit the club.

"It was something we mutually agreed together," he added.

"I think it was the right decision for both the club and the player.

"What I discussed with him will remain private but he has been a brilliant servant and captain for Manchester United. He is captain and will remain captain until the end of the season. He has been a great player for us and we will continue to play him."