01 09 10

2/20/2014

Davide Petrucci craving a chance to impress for Man Utd


Italian playmaker Davide Petrucci arrived from Roma in 2008 with a huge reputation as there was something of an outcry in the Italian capital when he departed for Manchester to join fellow countryman and close pal Federico Macheda at United.

After being dogged by terrible luck with injuries, he only really emerged trouble-free during the 2011 pre-season and soon impressed in the Reserves to such an effect that he was named Warren Joyce's captain.
Regaining his power to ally to his silken touch and poise, he added a fresh edge to his game by adapting to the physical rigours of English football. Sir Alex Ferguson noted his progress by including him in the travelling squad for a Barclays Premier League trip to Tottenham and he ended the campaign by lifting the Reserves title and Manchester Senior Cup, developing a thirst for silverware that should only prove beneficial in terms of spurring him on to bigger things.
Petrucci started finding the net regularly in 2011/2012 as well, contributing eight goals from 25 starts in the Reserves and reaffirmed his desire to make the grade at Old Trafford.
A loan move to Peterborough United was arranged the following season and he proved he was adapting to Championship level when netting a superb long-range drive against Leicester City. Just when he looked certain to become a key contributor in Posh's battle against relegation, the injury jinx struck again and his campaign was curtailed.
Peterborough went down on the final day, as both Petrucci and fellow loanee Scott Wootton remained sidelined, leaving him with the aim of getting fit again for pre-season. After going on tour last year, the classy midfielder must be striving to earn a place on the plane again in 2013.
In an interview to ManUtd.Com Petrucci said he relishes a chance to impress for Man utd and play for the first team. Heres the exclusive interview extracted from ManUtd.Com
How did you find your loan spell at Royal Antwerp. Was it difficult moving to Belgium?
I enjoy having new experiences all the time. I didn't mind being in another country but the football was a bit different and more physical. I did enjoy the whole experience, which was good.
Were you unable to feature in your best position?
It was just that sometimes I played out wide and sometimes behind the striker but running beyond him and that is not really my game. However, if the coach tells you to do something, you just try to do it.
Are you pleased to have returned to United?
It's always good to be back here but, for me, I am at an age where another loan would be good and a move somewhere else to play first-team football. For the moment, I'm here and will see what happens next. 
You were clearly one of the best players in the league a couple of years ago...Well, all the team did very well and it felt very good. It felt great to be a part of it as captain and I scored goals and made assists. We won the league so it was a good year for me.
A couple of colleagues have moved on recently - do you wish Larnell Cole and Ryan Tunnicliffe well?
I think they proved themselves at this age in this league and needed a new challenge. It could be good for them to go to Fulham and play.
Coach Warren Joyce feels you need to be playing against older professionals at this stage of your development..
Warren likes that and that is why he trains us hard every day but I do think it's a good league in the Under-21s, especially for the younger players coming up. I've had a couple of loans for experience in Peterborough and Antwerp. When you play for the first team, it's a completely different feeling playing with men, in front of a big crowd. It gives you a lift even more so I want to go out and play.
You have always had the burning ambition to play for United. Does that remain?
Obviously it's still a dream for me to play here. I've never really had the chance. I hope one day that I am given a chance to show if I can do something or not. I think if you are given an opportunity to show what you can do, it's down to you. Many young players have a chance and some take it while some don't. I never really had one. I hope one day that I do get it.
Tom Thorpe went out on loan and was injured on his debut for Birmingham - you had a similar setback at Peterborough so do you sympathise with him?
Yes. Sometimes luck is more important than the talent in football.