01 09 10

1/26/2014

David Moyes: Juan Mata first of many new Man United signings

David Moyes

Manchester United manager David Moyes says the club record signing of Juan Mata will be "the first of many" new arrivals at Old Trafford this year.
United paid Chelsea £37.1m to land Spain midfielder Mata as Moyes looks to stamp his own impression on the squad.
"This is the first, and there will be many more to come in time. I want to build an exciting team," Moyes said.
"I don't think we will have any more [new signings] in January - I'm still working on it and looking to do so."
He added: "Hopefully it will be the first of some new signings who will arrive more likely in the summertime. We see this as the start, we have to look to improve and I'm going to try to bring in some new players to make that happen."
   Moyes has been linked with a move for Southampton left-back Luke Shaw who signed a new five-year contract at St Mary's last year.
The Scot was also pictured in Germany at Bayern Munich's game against Borussia Monchengladbach last week where he reportedly went to watch Bayern pair Tony Kroos and Mario Mandzukic.
United have also opened contract talks with Wayne Rooney to extend his stay at the club as Moyes looks to hold on to his key players.
Moyes, who admits he will probably look to get Mata, 25, involved in Tuesday night's Premier League game against Cardiff, says it was a surprise that the deal for Mata was one he was able to do mid-season.
He told MUTV: "I never felt that we would get that opportunity, I wasn't sure that Chelsea would ever sell him to us. Thankfully we got there and I am delighted he is here.
"I'm a bit surprised because it's not something that tends to happen especially between Premier League teams.
"I was surprised when it happened but we have got a really exciting player, a player I'm looking forward to working with, a player I think everybody in football looked at and says he did a great job for Chelsea."